Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Progress, Progress, Progress!!!

Jackson and Brady are making steady progress. They are maintaining their temperatures, which means that they will be out of their incubators soon. The doctors can't take them out yet, because they still need to gain some weight and being out in the open will make them burn calories that they need to do that. Speaking of weight, they are both back up to their birth weights! This is super exciting! As all babies do, they lost weight during the first week and got as low as 3 1/2 pounds. Tonight they were back up to 3 lbs 13 ozs and 4 lbs 1 oz. They still have quite a bit to gain, and they are averaging about 1 to 2 ounces a day. The doctors have added calories and protein to their diet to help fatten them up. Both Jackson and Brady have begun exploring during "mommy time" and learning how to breastfeed. Nothing substantial yet, but they are headed in the right direction. They have to have enough coordination to suck, swallow, and breath, and they are not quite physically mature enough to do that yet. I am confident that they will be soon. I can't wait for everyone to get to meet them in person. Until then, here are some new pictures. We are able to bring clothes in to dress them now. Thanks to GG and Great Aunt Tammy for these two outfits!



I am doing well. My days consist of travelling to the hospital, sitting with the boys for an hour or so twice a day, pumping milk, and resting. My incision is healing up slowly. I do have a bladder infection as a result of the three cathedars I had over the course of the long week and half I was in the hospital, but that should clear up soon with the medicine I've been prescribed. Some of you know about my aversion to taking medicine and are probably surprised I am doing so well taking so many pills. Currently, I am on 5 different medications! Before the pregnancy I would barely even take tylenol and during the pregnancy I had to get chewy vitamins to take those. Hopefully by the time my pain meds run out, I won't be in pain anymore. I'll continue to keep everyone updated on the boys' and my progress. Thanks to everyone who has been helping out and thanks to everyone who has been praying for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment